This 1902 Neoclassical residence overlooks one of Birmingham’s original residential community parks. After decades of unsympathetic renovations and unconventional uses (including housing a fraternity for a local university), the non-public family areas remained disconnected from one another, were poorly laid out for modern living, and displayed finishes that undermined the original historic architecture. The scope of the first-floor renovation included a newly expanded kitchen, reconfigured back stair hall, and improved finishes to the bar and butler’s pantry. Additionally, interior transom windows were introduced in these same areas which made the openings feel less grand while still allowing for the transfer of light and more visual connections between rooms. The second-floor scope of work included a new primary dressing room and bath, along with closing off some room-to-room connections, relocating some existing doors to allow for proper bed walls, and re-routing the entrance to a bedroom to another part of the house. With respect to the new architectural details, an interior trim molding system was designed that utilized some of the existing trim profiles and created sympathetic new ones where required.